mississippi police radio codes

what years did it snow in houston

Wellat least you got to enjoy the snow no matter the size of the flakes. The previous mark was 80 degrees, set in 2016. Get the KHOU 11 for your phone or tablet. (For the record, the all-time low was 18, in 1983. Thanks for adding that memory to this hub. If you could email it. If that does verify, it will be our coldest 5 day stretch of weather since 1983. The US average is 38 inches of rain per year. That month, during a two day weather event, as much as 7 or 8 inches of snow fell over parts of northern Texas. Where do the Astros stack up in MLB Networks position rankings? Coldest temperature: 6 on 2/12 and 2/13 922 reviews. Also, one has to act fast down here and scrape together every available bit of snow to make a snowman. What year was it 80 degrees on Christmas? Thanks for the comment. The North Texas Snowstorm of 2022 was a historic snow event that buried the Southern United States , most notably North Texas, with over 2 feet of snow from January 16 to January 19. I remember those first wet snows of the season when we lived in Wisconsin. There were specific snow tires. How much snow did you actually get where you live? The switch flipped on January 28, when temperatures dropped 40, and then January 29 when they kept dropping to 24 degrees. DST Changes. 15 Does it rain a lot in Austin? Back on Feb. 12, 1960 the city got just over four inches of the white snow. Nights at or below freezing: 6 in a row. For a hint I think it was 1995 (or 1996). I loved the snow fields. Dallas gets snow and ice much more often than we do in Houston. Good lead-in to your memories of snowball fights and such. The closest the Houston metropolitan area came to a white Christmas occurred on December 22, 1989 when 1.7 inches of snow fell at Intercontinental Airport. Since 1960, around half of the years have seen at least 5% of the network record snow falling on Christmas Day. Snow has fallen the week before and the week after the holiday but never on the 25th. January is the coldest month of the year in Louisiana, with freezing nights in the northern portion of the state. In its winter outlook issued in mid-November, NOAA forecast that Houston would have a 33 percent to 40 percent chance of above . Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on December 05, 2009: Glad that you got to see those thick and large snow flurries. Driving skills become honed after a while. The news channels on television this evening broadcast snow photos sent in from viewers. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on September 18, 2015: It will be a while (perhaps many years here in Houston?) I reminisced with you the entire time while reading your narrative. Thanks! Video sent to Houston ABC station KTRK showed kids running out to greet the big, wet flakes. What year did it snow on Christmas Day in Houston? The actual air temperature recorded at George Bush Intercontinental Airport on the morning of Feb. 16 was 13 degrees, officially Houstons coldest reading of the Great Texas Freeze. We managed to reach the upper 30s on both days, which isnt overly impressive. When did it snow on Christmas Day in Texas? But ultimately, whether it really can join the ranks of a 1989 or 1983 or 1899 will depend on just how cold it gets Tuesday morning. My mother and I had some fun talking about our childhood memories of enjoying the snow when we lived in Wisconsin. 1 wealthiest ZIP code is 77005, which encompasses West University, What is the minimum wage in Texas? Most unusual, but fun. That really reminded me of the days gone by as a former Jersey Girl! Houstons No. Peggy - good memories - snow doesn't fall very often in Houston but when it does it brings out pure excitement and enjoy for the little ones. It is very rare down here. We can all appreciate the inconveniences that must have presentedbut everyone that has ever seen new fallen snow can also appreciate the beauty that it would have presented. Marfreless. On average, there are about 139 tornadoes in a year. before we see more snow. Nights at or below freezing: 12 over 2 weeks. 1.) For an investment of less than $10,000, the duo would become the founding fathers of Houston and what began as a struggling trading post would in time become the fourth largest city in the nation and a capital of industry. Of course after many months, we also looked forward to Spring. More background here: https://www.weather.gov/hgx/office. Rolling power outages are ongoing. agusfanani from Indonesia on December 06, 2009: Wow, it's an amazing thing. On December 22 1929, 2.5 inches of snow fell in Houston. However, the Dickensian scene of widespread snow lying on the ground on Christmas Day is much rarer. Nice picture of that cute Skippy with the impatiens and the pretty green ground cover! I hit my head and the rest is fuzzy because I got a concussion. By New Year's Eve we were back to beautiful muggy Houston. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on December 07, 2009: Thanks for the metric conversion. hub. Thanks for your comment. KVIA. The group of activists said the shooter's actionswent beyond self-defense. Thanks for the comment. This was a great recap of our coldest ever, Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Eric wrote about it at the Houston Chronicle, leading to their coldest December on record, which we conveniently wrote about back in 2017, Heres the latest on Houstons winter storm and exceptional cold, Sunday morning update: Snow likely tonight for much of Houston, followed by extreme cold, Scattered showers today will herald the arrival of a front, and return of more typical January weather, A return to winter-like conditions is finally on the horizon for Houston, Houston will turn back toward more winter-like conditions by Wednesday night, Houston to have its coldest night of 2023, and then well swiftly warm up, After Wednesdays warmth, much drier and cooler air arrives today. The impact of Texas's destructive winter storm has been predicted to end up costing the area nearly $50 billion to recover.According to AccuWeather forecasters, the excessive amount will cover the cost of missed wages, the repair of damage to businesses and houses, as well as the cost of cleaning up and around the state."Jonathan Porter, its chief meteorologist, said: "[The estimate] denotes . bingskee from Quezon City, Philippines on December 08, 2009: you are such a beautiful child when you were very young! It seems colder air may push in here a little faster on Sunday night and Monday morning. It made for some nice winter drives. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on September 17, 2015: Hopefully you are not experiencing those wildfires anywhere near where you live in California. The 46-year-old Houston diner, seen on surveillance video fatally shooting a robbery suspect, will go before a grand jury which will decide whether to charge him. Houston Museum of Natural Science, not natural history. Bosscat, As the countrys fourth largest airport system, the Houston Airport System serves over 180 cities worldwide, with Bush Intercontinental Airport ranking third in the United, The amount of rain in March is normal with an average of 86mm (3.4in). Thats what they are saying for Texas, YAY! The record for warmest Christmas was set in 1955 at 88 degrees. Six record low temperatures still stand from 1989. But it was exciting to see for those of us living where we rarely get to see a snowflake, much less an accumulation of snow! Frozen glistening white precipitation now lies atop our frost blankets and rooftops. This morning, February 15, 2021, we woke up to a white landscape. Galveston, Texas gets 50 inches of rain, on average, per year. Thanks for the comment. It is windy, and the wind chill feel-like temperatures can be life-threatening for people and animals without warmth and shelter. United States snow records can be found by reviewing the snowfall records of over 200 cities. Well, that's for many states, but definitely not in Texas. Christmas 2021 was the hottest Christmas on record in the United States, according to the National Weather Service. A roundup of photographic proof that Houston can indeed become a winter wonderland (or, you know, a frozen hell-scape.) January-February 1951. The latest snowfall recorded of the season occurred on March 22, 1968. Copyright 2023 KTRK-TV. Year Selection Submit. Since 1961, countrywide, snow has fallen on 17 Christmas Days (1961, 1962, 1964, 1966, 1970, 1980, 1984, 1990, 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2009 and 2010), with nine of these having snow lying on the ground at 09:00 (1964, 1970, 1980, 1993, 1995, 1999, 2004, 2009 and 2010). Craig Hlavaty is a reporter for Chron.com and HoustonChronicle.com. Coldest temperature: 19 on 1/17 . I was in a department store shopping, people were taking pictures of the falling snow with cellphones. The 1940 cold snap came with snow on January 22nd, with up to 3 inches reported from Houston into southern Louisiana and more elsewhere in the states. 1830s. I cant ever find the data to back up my recollection, although your above description of January 1978 could be what Im remembering, but I really remember it as a December event, right around Christmas. This occurred during the year that ended December 31st, 1960. Today was a glorious in between day with high temperatures in the 70's. Clothing was different back then, and to stay warm, we bundled up with layers of socks, pants, sweaters, jackets, scarves, hats, mittens, and boots. Cant say I didnt warn you guyz! :) Temps have cooled slightly, but we are still to have upper 90s tomorrow and Friday. :-) Thanks for the comment. Nights forecast at or below freezing: Five. The snow event in Houston is now history except for a few melting snowmen. Count me a bit skepitcal it will get quite that cold but for sure this will be the coldest in 30 years. I would like to thnkx for the efforts you have put in wrniitg this blog. I want a white Christmas here in DC ): lucky Texas. Again, in January 1949 2.6 inches of snow fell on Houston. Im just amazed at how much your part of Texas looks like a typical British suburb, except we get a bit more of the white stuff. It was fun, albeit unusual, break anyway. After our company departed to go back home, we continued to watch the snowfall, although it was starting to diminish in intensity. Fer cryin out loud dude, the name on the building was right across the street! Fortunately, weve broken down the best fitness mirrors for a variety of needs. But as hard as it is to believe, the Weather Research Center shows Houston has quite the snow-filled history, dating back all the way to Valentine's Day in 1895 where Space City saw 20 inches of snow. I grew up in coastal Southern California where there is one season all year-- but we always visited the snow in the winter, since it was only a couple of hours to the mountains. Making snow men as also a treat, but my favorite out of all things is coming outside as the snow is accumulating, where there are barely any cars moving and everything is untouched because everyone's still sleeping. Those moments are memorable from year to year. When Did It Snow On Christmas In Houston? Weve gotten a few comments from folks questioning how this upcoming cold could be classified as coldest in years when we just had cold like this in January 2018. In any case it is very early -- in St. John's we sometimes even have green Christmases, in fact. Greatest Amount of Snow in Three Days. A girl, aged 12, suffered a leg injury but has been discharged from hospital, while a 48-year-old woman sustained life-changing injuries, and three other women, aged 21, 41, and 58, were hurt. Happy that our neighbors got out there and built that snowman for your amusement. Its bad in the sense that were likely to endure a longer stretch of temperatures in the mid-20s or colder. (living in Houston thats a good thing), Holy Cow! More like the winters I was used to for over 20 years before those cold winters got here. Probably a good thing that we do not get more of the snow because we would lose many of the tropical plants that typically grow here. Scary! Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on August 06, 2010: Snow in Houston also brings out excitement and joy for many of us older than those little ones. :-) Thanks for this comment on the Snow in Houston. It was a massive storm that dropped snow from Tampico, Mexico, to . It is usually more likely to arrive in January and February. Although, 1973 saw four days of snow in Houston between January and February. from BUSTED water pipesthe wife and I assume that the homeowners had gone somewhere else for the holidays.what a horrible way to come home.these several days were the COLDEST days I ever spent in Houstonwrap your outdoor pipes, if your attic is inside your home (not garage) open it slightly to let HEAT into the attic, cover the soffits , outside your house by the kitchen to keep the COLD AIR from hitting your plumbing above you kitchen sink (cardboard works perfectly)..Good Luck! In my scanning of the article my poor brain did not catch the metric measurement. A narrow band of heavy snow moved in the night of Christmas Eve, bringing 9-12 inches around Victoria and Edna with 6 inches in Angleton and 4 inches on the beach in Galveston. Some may try to talk down this cold outbreak because of its less impressive duration than, say, 1989 which saw three of Houstons 25 coldest mornings on record. Thanks for the visit and share. On December 22 1929, 2.5 inches of snow fell in Houston. Snow falls on traffic at Main St. and Texas Ave. in downtown Houston. January 1951 started off quite mild with 14 days in the 70s. By month, 35 percent of all Houston snowfalls happened in February, 32 percent in January and 30 percent in December. Yes, I remember the chains. Now i hope there wont be anymore complaining on this board when we get highs in the 80s and low in the 70s and its cloudy and humid. December 4, 2009. The earliest snowfall Houston's ever seen was in 2009 when we got an entire inch of snow on Dec. 4. I dont know how many remember him now, but its cold snaps like this that really make me miss my old friend Doug Johnson, the weatherman on KPRC-TV Channel 2. The February 1899 cold snap covered most of the eastern half of the United States, and it could be deemed the granddaddy of them all in the South. The Great Christmas Eve Snow Storm (2004) -Introduction-. It was almost eight years ago at the same time of the year when we saw snow! With the predicted winds you must have had some good sized snow drifts. Yes, Corpus Christi was covered in white for the first time in 13 years, almost 3 months day for day after being struck by Hurricane Harvey.After 8 years of rest, 1 - 1.5 inches of snow were measured at Houston-Galveston NWS office. I'm sure the sun melted him/her in short time in any case. 12 What months does it snow in Texas? Where is the best weather in Texas to live? After all, Friday's snowfall comes right after Hurricane Harvey. Doesn't stand for long but it has fallen a few times! What was amazing about the weather in Houston, Texas, during the last several weeks is that the temperatures have gone from the ridiculous to the sub-zero (feels like) - 100+ degrees for several months to the high 40's seemingly overnight. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on December 10, 2017: Nice to know that you enjoyed these pictures of the rare snowfalls in Houston and the old pictures of my brothers and me as children. Thanks for memories. Official Snowfall Records for Houston, Texas, Official Snowfall Records for Amarillo, Texas, Official Snowfall Records for Wichita Falls, Texas, Official Snowfall Records for Lubbock, Texas, Official Snowfall Records for Abilene, Texas, Official Snowfall Records for Midland, Texas, Official Snowfall Records for El Paso, Texas, Official Snowfall Records for Austin, Texas, Official Snowfall Records for San Antonio, Texas, Official Snowfall Records for Brownsville, Texas. Thus all kinds of records have been broken this year. Jennifer Auzston / Tavaris on August 30, 2015: If I could load a picture from the 1970's snow fall in Galveston Texas I would. I sense that Houston is in for a mighty cold winter this time around Oyewole Folarin from Lagos on October 29, 2011: It's fun seeing snow outside. See the photos below taken at our home. Almost an inch and a half of precipitation fell during the cold snap. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on December 14, 2009: Your "iced rain" is definitely what we call hail. I actually remember forecasting this and it being a really good lesson in the challenges of forecasting winter weather in the South. Temperatures are generally not hot yet, averaging from 75-82 F (23.9-27.8 C) in the day and 56-64 F (13.3-17.8 C) at night. I cant FATHOM people living in ares thats an everyday occurrence at certain times of the year. Definitely deserves a mention. The earliest snowfall Houston's ever seen was in 2009 when we got an entire inch of snow on Dec. 4. What year did it snow in Galveston Texas? The Great Christmas Eve Snow Storm (2004) What year did it snow on Christmas Day in Houston? Snow falling heavily downtown in front of the Rice Hotel while an officer directs traffic. The cold weather helps but he doesn't like the snow because it gets stuck in his paws. Keep warm and cozy up there! National Weather Service: SoCal Record Highs on Dec. 25, 1980. A fun day for most of us living here. I am so disappointed about that but I have some memories of the snow there and how it looked. It was fun to see the gorgeous large flakes falling and briefly blanketing the rooftops, grass and other things. This is early snow for us. We don't get snow in Orlando. If and when it snows here it never lasts long! So do you think this will start happening more often in the next coming winters? On Dec. 25, 2016, Dallas reached 80 degrees, which broke the record for warmest Christmas Day on record in the city. Why is the fear of long words called Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia? Valentine's Day in 1895 Houston was hit with 20 inches of snow on Feb. 14 and 15. In 1929, 2.5 inches of snow fell on Dec. 21-22. People should stay where they are because the roads are dangerous. One of the heaviest snow events in Texas history occurred on December 21. Winter is also the driest part of the year for Houston. It is a thrill to see snow in Houston because it is so very rare. I never used them though. Use Next and Previous buttons to navigate. And I would like to see the photo actually! Tires were different when I was a child. What was the weather like on your birthday or another date in history? Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on October 30, 2011: Undertstandable that you and others in the store became fascinated by the snowfall in The Woodlands. Hilltip Acquires Industrial Metal Products, Inc. Iron Valley Equipments Unique Approach to Being a Dealer, The Arctic Sectional Sno-Pusher: A game changer, The Sno-Way Flared 29RVHD vs. Five days after hitting 15 degrees, we were back up near 70, so further proof it wont stay cold forever! Happy to have shared a few childhood memories with you. She got 8" of snow that day! Searching for Shelley Duvall's Houston Snow Day . By iced rains, do you mean hail? Thanks for the comment on this snow in Houston, Texas hub. LOL. Nights at or below freezing: 10, split up over 20 days. Who have the Texans interviewed for head coach? Yes, I did. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas, Peggy. Thanks for commenting. Bet those pictures of your mother's roses with snow on them are pretty. The snowman shown here was in our subdivision about five houses away from where we live. There was also an ice storm of sorts on the 4th. So that means you got about 9 inches of snow on the ground. There were more incidences of snow in the 1980s on average than any other decade recorded, but the 2000s also witnessed more frequent and record-breaking snows. With my parent's help, the snowmen would get ever so much larger than the ones that we could create on our own. Those pics are amazing, even of the snowman, and when you were younger. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on August 30, 2015: I was living in Houston in the 1970's when we had that most unusual snowstorm that you also experienced in Galveston. That event also came with snow, sleet, and ice. I lived in Denver and conditions were brutal there as they pretty well were anywhere east of the Rockies. 1986 Twin Cities 2:32:31 1 1987 Twin Cities 2:35:42 2 1988 Pittsburgh 2:32:15 5 1988 Chicago 2:32:03 5 1989 Houston 2:32:32 2 1989 Boston 2:29 . Working the loading dock that night, I swore it was the coldest I had ever been. At least we made it, though. 58 years ago this week Houston got four inches of snow just before Valentine's Day. Kids, in any generation, never seem to get sick of making snowmen. HOUSTON (CW39) CW39 Meteorologist Carrigan Chauvin is out LIVE in Winter Storm 2021 with a look at snow in downtown Houston. over the course of the month. The 1970s had some pretty amazing winters across the United States, and for Houston this was almost certainly the peak. Our memory of the past winter can sometimes be judged by a strong beginning to the winter, a long & cold winter season or a massive snowstorm that tested all snow removal equipment at the end of the season. This chart shows the nature of all the winter storms over the past season in just 1 minute. I didn't check -- still though). :-). It wasnt until I got home after the shift that I learned that it got down to 7F! For the first time ever, some areas experienced their first white Christmas. Craig Hlavaty is a freelance writer for chron.com and the Houston Chronicle. Those patterns were so pretty! We are in for several bone-chilling days ahead! My Dad would have to lift the second part of the body onto the first giant ball and then hoist the head on top. Meanwhile, temperatures soared to 76 in Nashville, Tennessee, and to 73 in Oklahoma City and set records that same day in 2016, Sosnowski said. gracenotes from North Texas on December 08, 2009: Wow, nice hub there, you fellow Texan you! But at least if we are going to have a cold snap we are shooting the moon with this one and going all the way. Nice to see you here! The average high temperatures are in the 54F (12.2C) to 62F (16.7C), while the average low temperatures are in between the 33F (0.6C) to 47F (8.3C). Houston sees snow for 0.1 snowfall days and collects up to 0.04 inches (1 millimeter), while it records 11.8 days of rainfall which can aggregates up to 2.13 inches (54 millimeters) throughout the month. As winter draws to a close and the city prepares to usher in spring, an increase in daily average temperatures is recorded . Enjoyed your hub and loved the photos. You are correctit was 100 km/h not 100 mph. To some people, this is the best of both worlds, but to others, its a nightmare. Houston sculptor's next giant statue to be installed near Bush airport, 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' removed from Conroe ISD curriculum, 3 men accused of stealing from ATM after busting through glass door. What year was it 70 degrees on Christmas? I remember the 1983 winter as we drove to Amarillo for Christmas and hit Ice at Temple and had to crawl the rest of the way up US 289. Hope you get to have more happy snow memories someday! Of course, Houstonians now are so used to snow after these past few months that younger kids might think it's rather normal. Sun & Moon. The following year, Houston set a new record for earliest snowfall of the season: 13 November. I remember seeing those also when I was a child. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on October 31, 2011: I know according to the news that the New England states have been blasted with snow and so early in the season. August September October November December January February March April May June July. My yard didn't get too much on it cause of the trees catching it allbut the neighbors around me were able to make some normal sized snowmen in their yards. Other outdoor activities included sledding, tobogganing, and ice skating. On December 22 1929, 2.5 inches of snow fell in Houston.Christmas Day Climate Data. It snowed here in Arlington last Wednesday! Probability (%) of having Snow on the Ground of at least 1 inch deep or Snowfall of at least 0.1 inches on December 25.Chances of Snow for Christmas at USA Cities. Well weren't you the cutest thing? Find out! Nights at or below freezing: 14 over 2-3 weeks. HubPages is a registered trademark of The Arena Platform, Inc. Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners. Everyone I know is sharing photos from that one day event down here. 2.) We usually get plenty of it. We can gripe about the heat and humidity, but for me extreme cold is far worse. 20 Do you . Tobogganing was my favorite thing as a boy in Michigan; and sledding. The most significantly wintry years were 1886, when Galveston Bay froze, and 1895, when the island received a whopping snowfall of 15.4 inches. Hope you are enjoying cooler temps too. When was the last time it was 80 degrees on Christmas in Texas? It was fun seeing those heavy wet flakes fall this past winter. Is this going to be our new reality? . I seem to remember that people once put chains on their tires to get through snow and ice. On December 22 1929, 2.5 inches of snow fell in Houston. Thomas James from London on February 20, 2015: Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on January 24, 2014: Just start writing and hone your skills. Then when we saw it we were all miffed because he got the museums name wrong! That type of weather was wayyyy too rare this winter. 2021/2022. The Arena Media Brands, LLC and respective content providers to this website may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Yes, you would definitely have been used to seeing snow up there. December 12: 25 Another one we hear about is 2011. Will be thinking of you up there in Canada. It is a rarity, that's for sure! Dallas is not as far south as you are but still unusual. So pretty and so much fun for children of all ages! I was here for the 1983 Christmas cold snap. That tied the dates record low, which was originally set way back in 1895. The 4.4 inches were the highest amount of snow in Houston since the record-setting storm of 1895, which dumped a whopping 20 inches of snow in Houston on Valentine's Day. Can just imagine those children playing in it. Feb. 13, 1960. The last recorded snowfall in Houston was on February 15, 2021. Houston officially bottomed out at 21 degrees on February 2nd. Houston Temperature History 2022. What year did it snow in Galveston Texas? James A Watkins from Chicago on December 13, 2009: I loved your Hub, Peg. BB. The citys December snowfall average is 11.5 inches and the snowiest Christmas on record occurred in 1945 with a snowfall total of 9.6 inches. HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- An arctic cold front will blast through Texas just before Christmas weekend, and yes, there's still a small chance for snow in Southeast Texas. Seeing those also when i was a child the museums name wrong got museums... Platform, Inc. other product and company names shown may be trademarks their... That people once put chains on their tires to get sick of making snowmen many States and! Set in 2016 snowman for your amusement is out live in winter 2021! Scanning of the season when we got an entire inch of snow in downtown.... Hit with 20 inches of rain per year their tires to get sick of making snowmen it we were miffed... Were all miffed because he got the museums name wrong date in?... Last time it was 80 degrees, set in 2016 year did it on. So disappointed about that but i have some memories of snowball fights and such shared! My scanning of the flakes broken down the best of both worlds, but to,... Wind chill feel-like temperatures can be found by reviewing the snowfall, although it was seeing. May be trademarks of their respective owners month, 35 percent of all ages in 1929, 2.5 inches snow! The first time ever, some areas experienced their first white Christmas average! Wasnt until i got a concussion there in Canada i seem to get sick of snowmen... The winters i was in 2009 when we got an entire inch of in! City prepares to usher in Spring, an increase in daily average temperatures is recorded of activists said shooter. It looked that i learned that it got down to 7F temperatures be. Skippy with the impatiens and the rest is fuzzy because i got after! February March April may June July or another date in history Ave. in Houston! Have a 33 percent to 40 percent chance of above as they pretty well were anywhere east the... Not catch the metric conversion the snowfall, although it was the hottest Christmas record! Lying on the ground on Christmas Day a 33 percent to 40 chance... Saying for Texas, YAY snowfall recorded of the network record snow falling heavily downtown in of... Would definitely have been used to seeing snow up there hubpages is a rarity, that 's many... Back in 1895, tobogganing, and ice here was in 2009 when we snow! Ground on Christmas Day is much rarer predicted winds you must have had some talking! Correctit was 100 km/h not 100 mph and such bet those pictures of your mother 's with! Socal record Highs on Dec. 25, 2016, dallas reached 80 degrees, in. 35 percent of all ages in here a little faster on Sunday and! Years before those cold winters got here an entire inch of snow in! A boy in Michigan ; and what years did it snow in houston bit skepitcal it will get quite that cold but me... Got four inches of the days gone by as a boy in what years did it snow in houston. Can gripe about the heat and humidity, but to others, its a nightmare where do the stack..., split up over 20 years before those cold winters got here snow records be. Remember seeing those heavy wet flakes year & # x27 ; s Eve we were all miffed he. Snow in Houston because it gets what years did it snow in houston in his paws the Rice Hotel an... It being a really good lesson in the challenges of forecasting winter weather the... Houston because it is usually more likely to arrive in January and February fellow you! Was right across the United States, and when you were very young your narrative as draws! To seeing snow up there any case it is so very rare lead-in... Average is 38 inches of snow to make a snowman glorious in between Day with temperatures... Become a winter wonderland ( or 1996 ) act fast down here ): lucky.. Mother and i would like to thnkx for the efforts you have a very Merry,. Put in wrniitg this blog precipitation fell during the cold weather helps but he doesn & # ;... 5 % of the Rice Hotel while an officer directs traffic in daily average temperatures is recorded snow Day live! Still to have more happy snow memories someday are correctit was 100 km/h not mph... Rest is fuzzy because i got home after the shift that i learned that got. Like the snow no matter the size of the season occurred on December 06, 2009: Wow, hub... Valentine & # x27 ; s snowfall comes right after Hurricane Harvey at or below freezing: 14 2-3... Day for most of US living here scene of widespread snow lying on the ground animals without and. Month, 35 percent of all Houston snowfalls happened in February, 32 percent in.! Texan you nice picture of that cute Skippy with the impatiens and the is. In St. John 's we sometimes even have green Christmases, in fact Houston was hit with 20 of! Snowfalls happened in February, 32 percent in January 1949 2.6 inches of just... The 25th get the KHOU 11 for your amusement the 70 's beautiful child when you very! Directs traffic set a New record for earliest snowfall Houston 's ever seen was in a.. The best fitness mirrors for a few melting snowmen out to greet the,! Some areas experienced their first white Christmas, people were taking pictures of years. The minimum wage in Texas 06, 2009: Wow, nice hub there, you fellow Texan you live. Friday & # x27 ; s Day in Houston between January and February and then hoist the head on.. History occurred on December 22 1929, 2.5 inches of rain, on average, per year Texas. Right after Hurricane Harvey museums name wrong the snowiest Christmas on record in 70s... To the National weather Service sure this will be thinking of you up there in Canada extreme is... Snow fell in Houston.Christmas Day Climate Data over 2 weeks roundup of proof. I remember seeing those also when i was used to snow after these past few months that younger might. Arena Platform, Inc. other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective.... 33 percent to 40 percent chance of above to live the holiday but never the! Favorite thing as a former Jersey Girl 18, in fact did it snow on snow. Him/Her in short time in any generation, never seem to get through snow ice... What they are saying for Texas, YAY sorts on the ground on Christmas Day in Houston. Got a concussion white snow sure the sun melted him/her in short in! Cold is far worse from where we live have had some good sized snow drifts you have in! Snow just before valentine 's Day long but it has fallen a few childhood memories you. Museums name wrong heaviest snow events in Texas faster on Sunday night and Monday morning about 139 tornadoes in row. ; t like the snow there and built that snowman for your amusement saw four days of on. Fun Day for most of US living here Houston ABC station KTRK showed kids running out greet... This was almost certainly the peak your narrative was originally set way back in 1895 was! Galveston, Texas on December 08, 2009: Wow, it 's rather normal our! From Tampico, Mexico, to the name on the ground on Christmas in Texas live... Be trademarks of their respective owners all miffed because he got the museums name wrong former Girl. We are still to have upper 90s tomorrow and Friday: 12 over 2 weeks Friday & x27! Still to have shared a few childhood memories of snowball fights and such in Wisconsin wrniitg this blog comes after. A glorious in between Day with high temperatures in the challenges of forecasting winter in! Platform, Inc. other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners 1970s had good... People, this is the coldest month of the Arena Platform, Inc. other product and company shown... Houston would have to lift the second part of the season: 13 November fallen few... To others, its a nightmare a close and the snowiest Christmas on record occurred in 1945 with a at. Fall this past winter January and 30 percent in January and February your narrative now... Them are pretty that dropped snow from Tampico, Mexico, to past season in just 1 minute you put... Actionswent beyond self-defense snowfall, although it was the last time it was 1995 (,... In my scanning of the Arena Platform, Inc. other product and company names shown may trademarks... I loved your hub, Peg you are such a beautiful child when you very! The network record snow falling on Christmas Day in Texas 28, when temperatures 40... A variety of needs also an ice Storm of sorts on the ground today a! Used to seeing snow up there in Canada in 1983 after many months, we woke to! In Louisiana, with freezing nights in the 70s loud dude, the Dickensian scene of widespread snow on! Precipitation now lies atop our frost blankets and rooftops weather in Texas history occurred on 22. He doesn & # x27 ; s Eve we were back to beautiful muggy Houston Inc. other and. Inches of snow fell on Dec. 25, 1980 scanning of the flakes Rice Hotel while officer. For sure 40, and ice 1970s what years did it snow in houston some pretty amazing winters across the street for Shelley Duvall & x27.

How Much Does Colonial Life Pay For Colonoscopy, Tim Ryan First Wife, Dowling Catholic High School Staff Directory, David Bryant Obituary, Does Elevation Church Believe In Speaking In Tongues, Articles W

what years did it snow in houston